People go about treating their depression in many ways. Counseling services and medication are two of the most popular routes. But what are other options? When seeking treatment for depression, it’s important to know all types of treatment available to you.
Evidence-based, non-pharmacological treatment options for depression
When you look at different treatment options, it is easy to get overwhelmed. There are a plethora of options to choose from. However, not all treatments are equal. Some may not be effective for all cases of depression. Others may come with severe side effects. Two treatment options for depression that avoid use of medication include psychotherapy and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Learning more about these treatments can reveal why they are so effective:
- Psychotherapy — Psychotherapy is also commonly known as talk therapy. This approach involves working with a trained mental health professional to assess and treat your depression. This is one of the more common treatments for clinical depression. One effective form of psychotherapy is called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT is characterized by its focus on the connections between thoughts and behaviors. A therapist practicing CBT can help you break from negative thought patterns that lead to unwanted behaviors. With CBT, you can develop healthier ways of thinking and coping with challenges.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) — TMS breaks new ground as a safe and effective treatment for severe clinical depression. This treatment works by activating neural activity in the mood regulation centers of the brain. Being less disruptive than other approaches, TMS can offer a relatively quick and effective way to treat your depression. During a TMS session, a magnetic coil is placed against your scalp. The coil delivers pulses of magnetic energy to specific areas of the brain. The average session tends to last around 30 minutes. No anesthesia or surgery is required. This makes it an appealing option for people seeking noninvasive treatment. TMS has demonstrated effectiveness even when other treatments have failed. A majority of patients experience at least a 50% reduction in depression.
Benefits of finding the right treatments
- Sadness and anxiety relief — One of the main goals of depression treatment is symptom relief. Sadness and anxiety can be overwhelming for people with depression. Sometimes these symptoms can even make receiving treatment difficult. With the right treatment, you can work steadily to reduce your symptoms. It is easier to stick with a treatment that works. A good treatment for clinical depression will offer swift results and build toward a state of lasting mental well-being.
- Increased energy levels — Feeling tired and unmotivated? These are common symptoms of depression. When you receive the right treatments for clinical depression, you can boost your energy levels. TMS, for example, helps with mood regulation to keep you from feeling chronically exhausted. Behavioral therapy can help you build a better routine to stay productive. Increased energy levels can do more than make you productive, though. Feeling energetic can help you do the things you love. With a good treatment plan for your clinical depression, you can start regaining your energy.
- Recurrence prevention — For some people, depression comes in waves. A treatment may work for some time, but eventually the depressive symptoms return. Some patients continue to experience benefits from TMS even up to a year after treatment. TMS therapy helps around a third of all patients achieve complete remission. This means they no longer experience any depressive symptoms. Cognitive behavioral therapy also works to prevent a relapse. When you work with a therapist practicing CBT, you can develop coping skills that make you more resilient. This can help prevent future struggles with depression.
Treat your clinical depression with Active Path
Ready to find treatments for clinical depression that work for you? Active Path offers CBT and TMS therapy services provided by an expert care team. Your mental health is our first priority. Our services are designed to treat your depression with a personalized, caring touch. Starting with your first free consultation, we strive to keep you safe and comfortable as we treat your depression together.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.